Writing is in full swing for our book Ecological Health: Society, Ecology and Health. Congratulations to all of you for meeting and in many cases exceeding your first draft deadlines!
Shortly, I will distribute a tentative table of contents for you to have a sense of your coauthors and the depth of scholarship and richness of approaches used to study the social dimensions of socio-ecological health issues.
As an interdisciplinary text, each author has had to engage in knowledge translation, beginning with working from a variety of home disciplines and writing teams through to writing for audiences spanning the medical social sciences and humanities and those using ecosystem based approaches to health research. Knowledge translation (albeit Sharon, Tetroe and Graham, 2009 remind it is a concept with many descriptors) is an important dimension of academic activity at present and texts like this one embody knowledge translation in action within the spheres of academic writing and dialogue.
The second chapter deadline of 4 March is fast approaching as is the opportunity in March to peer review one chapter within this text. Thank you for offering your expertise and energy to this peer review process.
I have also had a series of editorial inquiries about formatting and am always happy to receive and respond to your requests. One point of clarification is that while the published version of the text will be in black & white (grey scale) the online book (available as an eBook) will be in colour and so feel free to include colour images/tables/graphs in your chapter as long as the images can be read easily in both B&W and colour.
Input into the book title is also welcomed; if you have a suggestion for a pithier title please send me your ideas!
- 04 March 2013 – Authors to submit draft two of their chapters. (please also include an anonymous version on this date).
- 08 March 2013 – Anonymous versions of each chapter will be sent out to peer editors. Each author will review one chapter only
- 25 March 2013 – Peer reviews due back to editor.
- 31 March 2013 – Editor will send peer reviews and final editorial comments to authors.
- 15 April 2013 – Authors send editor third and final draft for inclusion text, including all citations, figures, acknowledgements and notes.
- May 2013 – The text will now be in the Emerald Copy Editing process and when your proofs are sent you will have up to 7 days to complete your final proofs, which should be minimal at this stage.
Emerald guidelines I know that you have already been using but am including again for ease of reference:
· Emerald Structured Abstract Guidelines: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/abstracts.htm.
· The Emerald Author Guidelines: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/products/ebookseries/author_guidelines.htm
· Emerald Best Practice Guidelines: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/writing/best_practice_guide.htm
Thank you very much for your commitment to this project; I look forward to reading your second drafts very soon!